A quick review of what we’re talking about:
Yahoo’s Dot – a single tag solution for Yahoo managed advertisers that “enables improved event tracking and ad effectiveness across Yahoo’s search and native ads.” Place this new pixel across all your pages and you can use it for remarketing lists and for tracking conversions. It also can be integrated with YBN and can tie seamlessly (in the backend) with Bing Ads’ UET (even for Bing’s remarketing in paid search!). The Dot solution is available now and replacing their existing Smart Pixel.
Bing Ad’s Universal Event Tracking (UET) – another dynamic pixel, offering “a simple yet powerful way to define and track goals (performance/conversion).” This tag can track conversions, and build remarketing audiences, and the added benefit tracking site analytics metrics in Bing! Again, this is easily integrated with Yahoo’s Dot pixel, so read ahead for that.
Important note: Bing is doing away with their old tracking in April 2015, so this change needs to happen now!
(There’s also the YAM+ pixel, which is traditionally used by advertisers who make Display buys on Yahoo. We won’t touch on that here, but know that it’s different from both of those above.)
Now, what do you have to do?
Quite simply, put the new Yahoo Dot pixel everywhere on your site. It’s a simple piece of code that should go on your universal footer or your tag management system. Just do that and everything else will be easier.
You’ll want Yahoo’s new Dot pixel everywhere because it’s only going to grow more important. It’s for their new Yahoo Gemini platform, which has been growing in and of itself with all the Yahoo mobile traffic, and of course Yahoo Bing Network (YBN) through integration with Bing Ads’ Universal Event Tracking.
And you kinda have to use Bing’s new UET no matter what, so here’s the part about how to set it all up.
So, how do you technically set up both Yahoo’s Dot and Bing’s UET?
Easy as 1, 2, 3 (and 4)
1. Create the Dot tag in Yahoo Gemini (detailed instructions after the jump)
2. Place the Dot tag on all your pages (definitely on your conversion/thank you pages)
3. Create the UET codes in Bing Ads (detailed instructions after the jump)
4. Get your Yahoo rep to connect the two in their backend, so that all of your UET conversions are firing with Dot.
- When you create any new UET goals, be sure to set it so that they’re all using the same UET tag – that way it’s all tying back properly to Dot
- You can see when the two are linked, a Bing logo will be next to the goal and tag in the Gemini interface
Check out our more intensive instructions after the jump. Hope this helps!